Interview with Susi Peacock
Duration: 13 minutes
- 0:50 – Background of e-portfolios at QMU?
- 4/5 years ago looking for a way to support personal and professional development planning.
- criteria for selection included linked to VLE, easy of use, accessible and available technical support.
- 2:00 How was integration of a campus wide solution achieved?
- Using earlier adopters already using paper-based portfolios targeted. Looking for the quick wins. Building on this as a foundation to promote use in other areas like Drama.
- Important to remember that you need team and external examiner support.
- 5:37 Is there an assessment strategy which supports the use of e-portfolios for across the institution?
- Number of guides have been produced to help staff decide a workflow to maintain consistency, combined with central support from CAP.
- 7:15 Are there any examples of programme level adoption of e-portfolios?
- Several programmes including nursing have a staggered level of introduction from year 1 (continuing use as part of professional development).
- Crucial to explain to staff and students that they have alumni access to portfolios after they graduate.
- Important to liaise with professional bodies who maybe using other portfolio systems.
- 8:15 Has there been much take-up of alumni access?
- Physiotherapy students can transfer straight into the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) system (also PebblePad) or continue alumni access.
- Other main take-up is from radiography, nursing and drama.
- It is an opt-in service
- 8:40 What feedback are you getting from students on the use of e-portfolios?
- Don’t introduce in last year, start from the beginning.
- Value feedback particualarly when it is linked to what they are doing.
- Need to know why they are using it and embedded in the curriculum
- 10:00 Are there many staff that use PebblePad for their own professional development?
- Starting to grow, particularly for professional doctorate.
- It is noticeable that tutors who use an e-portfolio for themselves are the best tutors when it comes to supporting student use.
- 10:40 Has there been much change in use since the beginning of the project like mobile access?
- Not interest in mobile (they do have guides on how to do it)
- Change has been from module to programme adoption.
- Using it as a tool for dialogue around assessment
QMU – Centre for Academic Practice
QMU resources on e-portfolio’s
Intro/Outro music: 1-2-3-4 from stream of unconsciousness by Jeremy B. Northup